Career Planning and Development
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is Career Planning and Development?
We are located on the second floor in the Guillot University Center, Room 202.
What are your hours?
Monday - Friday | 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Evening hours available by appointment: 256-765-4276
Monday - Friday | 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM
How may I contact your office?
What services do you offer?
- Individualized employment advising
- Assistance in choosing a major
- Internship & Co-Op Program
- Mock Interview Program
- Career Fairs
- On-campus Interviewing Program
- LionJobs career management software (search and apply for part-time jobs on- and off-campus, full-time positions, internships and co-ops)
- Resource Library (materials on career choices and opportunities according to major fields, interviewing, résumé writing and the job search; an extensive collection of employer information and applications)
- MBTI Personality & Strong Interest Inventory Assessments
- Salary data and reports on the job market
Why should I register with LionJobs?
You should register with LionJobs so you don’t miss out on important job-related opportunities! As soon as your register, you will begin to receive notifications of workshops and programs of interest. You will also be able to search jobs and internships at any time.
Do I have to upload a résumé?
To apply for most jobs, you must have an “approved” résumé in the LionJobs system. We recommend you submit a résumé shortly after registering. The Career Planning and Development staff will review your résumé and determine if it can be approved. If so, it will be marked “approved” and you will be able to submit that résumé for any open positions. If the résumé needs revision, you will receive an email with an explanation, and you must fix errors/make suggested changes and re-submit. You will not be able to apply for most jobs until your résumé is approved! ** You should update and re-submit your résumé each semester!**
How do I register with LionJobs?
Where can I find out about part-time jobs?
All part-time jobs are listed on LionJobs!
What does it mean if a part-time job states "must be eligible for Federal Work Study?"
In order to apply, you must qualify for positions funded through the Federal Work Study Program. Contact the Student Employment Specialist in Career Planning and Development (GUC room 202, 256-765-4590) to determine if you are eligible.
How do I find out what to put on my resume?
Visit the Career Planning and Development office and pick-up some information to help you get started. You may also want to check-out one of the books on résumé writing or review the information on our website.