Career Planning and Development
Internship Application Instructions
General Requirements to be eligible to take part in an internship for academic credit:
- Must be admitted to UNA as a regular, degree-seeking student.
- Must have completed at least 24 semester hours toward a degree in progress at the University of North Alabama with a minimum UNA GPA of 2.5 (NOTE: Some majors may have broader or more stringent GPA requirements and/or more semester hours).
- Transfer students must have successfully completed one semester at UNA.
- If you are a College of Business student, you must review and sign the Job Readiness Form which is obtained through your Angel course.
Internship Application Process:
You are encouraged to seek employers that may be offering internships. One of many places to look is LionJobs.
- Register online with LionJobs.
- Click on STUDENTS and REGISTER; upload your resume (subject to approval).
- Follow job application instructions.
- Upon obtaining an internship offer, ask the employer to complete the Employer Contact Form.
- If you are already working for a business and would like to receive academic credit, you must provide a list of the new duties to be assigned, and at least 60% must be in your major/minor.
- Complete the Application.
- Take both the Employer Contact Form (and/or employer provided job description) and the Application to your department, where the designated faculty/instructor will determine if academic credit is appropriate based on the job description and relevance to your major/ minor. The designated department member (Chair, faculty or advisor) must complete that portion of your application.
- After receiving signature, ensure that the department's Administrative Assistant enters a permit-release for you to register for the internship class.
- Register for the internship class
- Complete the Memo of Understanding form. This must also be signed by the employer
**If you are not permitted to earn or do not choose to earn academic credit, you may still have the internship recognized by the University Interdisciplinary Program for no academic credit. (Must complete a minimum of 50 hours)
All of these forms (Employer Contact Form, Application, and Memo of Understanding) must be submitted for your internship file to be considered complete. Forms must be submitted to CP&D before the end of the late registration period as determined by the Registrar’s Office.
MBA Internship Application Process:
- Follow the instructions above using the Application for Graduate Internship-MBA which also includes additional instructions.
- You must work the minimum number of required hours in order to receive academic credit. Program hour requirements vary from a minimum of 150 hours (10 hours/week) to 480. You will be required to verify your hours worked.
- Follow the instructor’s syllabus as to the requirements for the internship class. The requirements may include submitting a Task Reporting Form every two weeks stating of how many hours you have worked, what tasks you have completed and what you have learned. You may be asked to complete a blog, write a weekly personal journal or a final reflective paper.
- Your employer/supervisor will be emailed an evaluation near the end of the term. They are asked to complete the evaluation based on their perception of your performance. It is your responsibility to see that your supervisor returns the evaluation form by the last day of class as determined by the Registrar’s Office. Your grade for the internship will be based on the evaluation. You will receive an Incomplete if it is not received.
Co-op Information and Instructions
Professional Practice Information