Distance Learning at UNA
Some online courses may require on-campus proctored exams. UNA offers distance learning students in these courses who live too far away to come to campus the option to use an off-campus proctor. Students who live less than one hour’s drive from UNA must test on campus unless special circumstances apply.
It is the responsibility of the instructor and the student to identify someone in the student's local area that is willing to serve as proctor. This service may require an additional fee.* All tests are given online and students must make sure that the potential proctor has a reliable Internet connection and has the capability of downloading/installing the Respondus Lockdown Browser (required for all tests given in the Distance Learning Testing Lab). A download link and installation instructions for the Lockdown Browser are available here: http://distance.una.edu/help/#lockdown. If the course requires Remote Proctor Now, off-campus proctored students will not use the Lockdown Browser.
Some courses only allow off-campus proctored testing through Remote Proctor Now (RPNow). Check with your instructor to see if Remote Proctor Now is required for your course. (Fee associated with this service - $15.00 per test)
*Any fees charged by proctors will be the responsibility of the student.
The following guidelines will help students choose the appropriate person to serve as proctor:
- Through Remote Proctor Now (RPNow) - (need instructor approval if Remote Proctor Now is not a requirement for course) with access to a web cam and a reliable Internet connection, students approved for an off-campus proctor may take their exam in any location. (Fee associated with this service - $15.00 per test)
- Testing Centers throughout the United States (National College Testing Association - http://www.ncta-testing.org/cctc/find.php)
- A testing lab or library at a community college or university
- A high school principal or counselor (or other educational settings)
- A public library
- Education officer at a military base
- At a company that offers tutoring and testing services
(Click here for more proctor information)
Helpful Testing Information
Off-Campus Proctor Application - must be submitted to instructor at least one week before the test date unless instructor provides other instructions.
RPNow Exam Taker Guide (pdf file)
Install and take a test using RPNow
Proctor Information and Requirements - how to find a proctor.
Examination Instructions for Proctor
Testing Center Rules and Student Responsibility