College of Education & Human Sciences
All University of North Alabama education majors must secure background suitability clearance from the Alabama State Department of Education (ALSDE) based on ABI/FBI fingerprints. Suitability clearance must be secured prior to registering for any education courses which include clinical experiences.
Step 1: Register
- Visit the Cogent website at http://www.cogentid.com/al/index.htm and click on the Department of Education logo to review information pertaining to background checks.
- While on this website, applicants must register for and pay for their fingerprint appointment BEFORE arriving at the fingerprint location. The fingerprint scanning fee is currently $51.40.
- Applicants should print one (1) copy of the applicant registration receipt. Take this receipt to the fingerprint appointment.
If you need to get fingerprinted outside of the state of Alabama, please contact the UNA Office of Teacher Certification to obtain a fingerprint card.
Step 2: Get Fingerprinted
The Cogent fingerprinting site closest to UNA is Central Mail Stop.
Central Mail Stop • (256) 712-5610 • 11385 Hwy 20 Florence AL 35630 • http://www.centralmailstop.com/
- Take one copy of your fingerprint registration receipt to the Central Mail Stop fingerprinting office. Make sure you bring a state-issued photo ID to the appointment.
- Central Mail Stop will take your fingerprints and transmit them electronically to the Alabama State Department of Education.
- Contact Central Mail Stop if you have any additional questions regarding the fingerprinting procedure.
Step 3: Confirm Clearance
- Go to www.alsde.edu.
- Click the blue link (on the right-side of the page) entitled "Teach in AL/Teacher Certification/Education AL/Leadership AL."
- Click the "Click Here" link.
- Click Search.
- Click Certificates.
- Type in your last name.
- Type in your first name.
- Under the section TEACHER, click the name that belongs to you.
- You should see your fingerprint information displayed below under the heading BACKGROUND REVIEW.
- Print this page for confirmation of your fingerprint status.
- Write your name and your student ID (L #) on this printout and turn in to the Office of Teacher Certification (Stevens Hall #546) so that we may clear you in the University system.