Atmospheric conditions are favorable for a tornado to possibly occur. Issued for 4 to 8 hours and covers a large portion of the state.
A tornado has been spotted in the area and immediate action should be taken. Move away from windows and outside walls. Duration is one hour unless otherwise canceled. University Police strongly advises you to seek shelter in the event of a Tornado WARNING.
Basic instructions if a tornado Is in your area
Go to an Interior Hallway or Closet on Lowest Floor Away from Windows
- During a tornado stay calm and quickly follow the steps outlined below.
- If indoors, seek shelter in the lowest level of the building. Interior hallways or rooms are preferable. KEEP AWAY FROM WINDOWS.
- If outdoors, take cover in the nearest ditch or depression, away from power lines, buildings, and trees. DO NOT STAY IN A CAR OR ATTEMPT TO OUTRUN THE TORNADO.
- After the tornado has passed, evaluate the situation and if emergency help is necessary, contact the University Police Department at extension 4357 (HELP) or 256.765.4357. and the Building Coordinator. Be aware at all times of dangerous structural conditions around you.
- Damaged facilities should be reported to the University Police Department.
NOTE: Gas leaks and power failure create special hazards. Please refer to the section on UTILITY FAILURE.
- ASSIST THE DISABLED IN EVACUATING THE BUILDING. Remember that elevators are reserved for disabled persons' use only. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS IN CASE OF FIRE.
- Once outside, move to a clear area away from the affected buildings. Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel.
- If requested, assist the University Police Department and/or the Building coordinator.
- Do not return to an evacuated building unless directed to do so by the University Police Department or the Building Coordinator.
- STAY CLAM. All emergency response efforts will require clear thinking and cooperation from all members of the campus community.
- Refer to the emergency procedures specific to your building
a. Appleby East (first floor cluster-suite common areas)
b. Appleby West (first floor cluster-suite common areas)
c. Art Building (exit the Art Building and take shelter in the Music Buildings interior band rooms (M120 thru M127) or the Visual Arts Building, Room's 120 & 121)
d. Bibb Graves (basement hallway across from Cashier’s Office)
e. Coby Hall (basement area)
f. Collier Library (basement area next to Center for Writing Excellence room)
g. Communications Building (first floor internal hallway)
h. Covington Hall (first floor cluster suite common areas)
i. East Campus (hallway by Drug Task Force)
j. Flowers Annex (basement area internal hallways)
k. Flowers Hall (internal hallways on both sides of the gymnasium)
l. Floyd Hall (go to Stevens Hall shelter area, noted below)
n. Hawthorn Hall (first floor cluster suite common areas)
o. Health Center (common area adjacent to examination room hallways)
p. Keller Hall (first floor internal hallways)
q. Lafayette Hall (first floor TV lounge)
r. LaGrange Hall (second floor hallway)
s. Leo’s Stone Lodge (basement)
t. Maintenance Building (lower interior basement area)
u. Math Building (basement area)
v. Music Buildings (faculty offices, interior band rooms (M120 thru M127), and Visual Arts area, Rooms 120 and 121)
w. Norton Auditorium (basement dressing room areas)
x. Powers Hall (basement computer room)
y. Raburn Hall (first floor internal hallways)
z. Rice Hall (mezzanine area)
aa. Rivers Hall (mezzanine area)
bb. Rogers Hall (basement office area)
cc. Stevens Hall (first floor hallway by Learning Resource Center)
dd. Student Recreation Center (weight room, locker rooms, and first floor bathrooms)
ee. University Apartments (interior closet areas)
ff. Wesleyan Hall (first floor central hallway)
gg. Willingham Hall
4. Even in the event of a University closing due to inclement weather, the following buildings will remain open to accommodate those needing shelter until dangerous weather conditions pass:
The following buildings will remain open:
a. Guillot University Center
b. Residence Halls
c. Student Rec Center
d. Flowers Hall