Office of International Affairs
The responsibilities of the scholarship will include advising and mentoring incoming international students. Navigators assist new students with cultural and social adjustments during orientation. Navigators will also introduce the students to the activities and services available on campus. Each Navigator will help with orientation, round table discussions, and other office programming. Scholarship commitment begins May 2013 and extends until May 2014. Detailed international program information available on the UNA International website.
$1000.00 to be paid in two equal disbursements during the fall and spring semester of each academic year.
One academic year of full-time studies to be completed by May 2013
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proven track record of on campus involvement/leadership
- Interest and sensitivity towards cultural and religious diversity as well as multicultural issues
- Self-motivated with strong time management skills
- Positive ambassador for UNA and OIA
- Ability to take ideas from concept to completion
Mandatory datesMust be able to commit to the following:
- TRAINING: Full day training May 9, 2013; two full day training sessions August 15 and 16; one full day training during Spring 2014
- BI-MONTHLY MEETINGS: From September - April on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday every month at 3:30 PM
- 2013 ORIENTATIONS: August 18, 19, 20 / January 5,6
- Three training and team building sessions (Mandatory Dates see above)
- 1 hour Bi-Monthly Meetings (Mandatory on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday every month at 3:30 PM )
- Three orientation sessions (Mandatory Dates see above)
- 80 % attendance at the Monthly Office Program, Event and/or Round Table (TBA - for example: participating in the Homecoming Parade, late afternoon 1 hour informational program, or taking a group to a on-campus week night event)
- Act as OIA ambassadors and orientation leaders
- Answer questions about life at UNA, American culture, and getting adjusted to college life
- Introduce new students to activities and services on campus
- Facilitate office events and activities
Start your Application
Prepare the following information to be submitted together to Joy Mallard, Coordinator of International Services, to either the Office of International Affairs Reception desk in Powers Hall or in care of the Office of International Affairs UNA PO Box 5058
- Navigator Application Form
- Resume' highlighting UNA activities and community involvement which enhance qualifications
- 500 word essay detailing your interest and experience with different cultures while describing the qualifications that will allow you to fulfill the requirements of this scholarship
- Two letters of recommendation from UNA Faculty, UNA Staff or the UNA Community
Finish your online applicationApplication packets will be due April 5, 2013.
Computer problems and failure on the part of the applicants to meet the deadline will NOT exempt the applicants from this rule.