The University Success Center
College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
The CLEP test is offered by appointment. These exams are computer based tests. If you would like to receive credit for college level classes without actually taking the course you may do so by attaining acceptable scores on the subject area exams. You must register in advance to take the exam by coming to University Advising Services in Room 127 of Keller Hall or calling 256-765-4773.
CLEP Subject Examination scores must be submitted to the Office of Admissions on the official transcript form directly from the College Entrance Examination Board.
Acceptable minimum scores are subject to change according to norming revisions by CEEB-CLEP.
Failure to make an acceptable minimum score requires that the student wait six months before repeating the examination.
A student may not earn credit through a Subject Examination for:
- a course in which previously or currently enrolled
- a course failed in residence
- a course in which credit has already been earned in coursework at a higher level with the exception of foreign language courses
- both Subject Examination and its equivalent course
- one or both of a sequence of courses if one of the courses has been attempted in residence (exception—foreign languages)
Credit for EN 111 (3 hrs) will be determined by a satisfactory score on the objective portion of the examination and evaluation of the Optional Essay.
For a list of CLEP tests with passing scores offered at UNA go to CLEP Information. The current cost of CLEP is $80 to CLEP and a $15 fee paid to UNA. Payment is due on the day of the test.
Useful tips for taking the exam can be found at www.collegeboard.com/clep.
CLEP Prohibited Items
The following items are not allowed in the testing room during your CLEP test:
- Calculators (a calculator function is built into the math CLEP computer program)
- Cell phones
- Food or beverages
- Hats (unless worn for religious reasons)
- Calculator watches, Digital watches, alarm watches, or wristwatch camera
- Dictionaries, books, pamphlets, reference materials
- Paper of any kind (scratch paper will be provided if needed. It must be turned in before you leave)
- Slide ruler, protractors, compasses, rulers
- Highlighter pens and/or colored pencils
- Listening devices, radios w/headphone, recorders, IPods, mp3 players
- Copying or photographic devices
- Mechanical Pencils or any type of pen
- Non-medical electronic devices (laptop/digital assistants)
- Any other unauthorized testing aids