Beth Garfrerick, Ph.D.
Dr. Beth A. Garfrerick
UNA Box 5007
208 Communications Building
Florence, AL 35632-0001
- A.B., The University of Alabama, 1979
- M.A., The University of Alabama, 2001
- Ph.D., The University of Alabama, 2010
- Journalism History
- Public Relations
- Public Relations Council of Alabama, North Alabama Chapter
- Public Relations Society of America, Alabama Chapter
- Southern Public Relations Federation (SPRF)
- American Journalism Historians Association (AJHA)
- North Alabama Chapter of the Public Relations Council of Alabama Educator of the Year Award Recipient, 2011
Scholarly paper presentation, Southern Studies: Auburn University-Montgomery Liberal Arts Conference, Montgomery, Alabama. Paper title: "The Small-Town Southern Newspaper: As in Politics, Everything is Local," February, 2013.
Scholarly paper presentation, National Newspaper Association 126th Annual Convention and Trade Show, Charleston, South Carolina. Paper title: "Before Bloggers there were Ploggers (Print Loggers): Community Journalism Correspondents," October, 2012.
Scholarly paper presentation, Southern Studies: Auburn University-Montgomery Liberal Arts Conference. Paper title: "The Role of the Community Weekly Newspaper in the Twentieth Century South," February, 2011.
Article, 'Before Bloggers There Were Ploggers (Print Logger)." Grassroots Editor, Vol. 54, No. 3-4 (Winter-Fall 2012).
Essay, "News Syndicates Serve as Papers' 'Silent Partners'." The Media in America, 9th Edition, Edited by Dr. Wm. David Sloan, Northport, Alabama: Vision Press, 2013.
Essay, "Despite Canned 'News,' Influential Editors Serve Small Towns." The Media in America, 8th Edition, Edited by Dr. Wm. David Sloan, Northport, Alabama: Vision Press, 2011.
Essay, "The Community Weekly Newspaper: Telling America's Stories." American Journalism, Summer 2010 edition.
At UNA since: 2005