Mint Julep Recipe
- 5 fresh mint leaves (plus a few sprigs for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Shaved ice
- 2 1/2 ounces bourbon whiskey
- Lemon slice for garnish (optional)
- Orange slice for garnish (optional)
- Maraschino cherry for garnish (optional)
Place mint leaves, sugar and a splash of water into a silver julep cup (or a 12 oz. Tom Collins glass). Muddle the mint, sugar, and water together with the tip of the handle of a wooden spoon. Fill the glass with shaved ice, add the bourbon and stir until combined. Garnish with lemon or orange slice, a cherry, and a few sprigs of fresh mint.
Derby Day honors an old Southern tradition and in so doing, recalls a fascinating piece of Florence history. But when all is said and done, it is great fun and benefits UNA. Come join us on the lawn of Coby.