Immigration Status

The term "immigration status" refers to the immigration classification that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) gives international visitors when they enter the United States, such as F-1 status or J-1 status. The status is written on the I-94 card.

The Office of International Affairs is happy to advise students in maintaining, changing, or reinstating status. Also, students are advised on extending or changing a degree program or completing studies.

Some Important Reminders

  • International Students must have a valid Passport, Visa and I-20 with current dates.
  • Student's U.S. address must be current. If you have changed your address, you must notify the Office of International Affairs (OIA) within 10 days of making the change. The address in UNA's Banner system must match what is on the SEVIS records and on the Alabama Driver's License. Click here to send your new information to OIA.
  • If a student's VISA is going to expire in less than 6 months, the student is encouraged to renew the VISA outside the US, while in the student's home country.

Continue to Travel

A convenient guide put together by the US government

or visit this website: Study in the States

Email us at