Employee FAQs

When should I complete the Self-Screening Assessment?

  • Every day before your arrival to campus.
  • Employees are not required to report the results of the assessment to their supervisor or University Health Services unless the answer to any of the questions is yes.

What if I answer "yes" to one of the questions on the Self-Screening Assessment?

  • If the response to any question is "yes," the employee should contact University Health Services at 256-765-4328 to determine if isolation from campus is necessary. The employee must also complete the form.

If I have a chronic illness(es) that includes many of the symptoms on the daily assessment, do I still need to contact University Health Services?

  • If an employee has a chronic illness that includes symptoms on the daily symptom assessment, the employee will need to call Health Services to have a discussion with a provider about what symptoms may appear and when Health Services should be notified.

If I have been tested, do I come back to work while I am waiting for the results?

  • Call University Health Services to let them know you were tested. Do not go back to work until you are cleared.

What if I develop symptoms of COVID-19 while at work?

  • If an employee develops COVID-19 symptoms while at work, he/she will need to contact their immediate supervisor and move to an area away from people, preferably a closed room, or go home and contact University Health Services.
  • If an employee must leave campus because of illness, he/she should cover their mouth and nose, and leave the campus immediately. Once the employee is safely off campus, the employee should contact University Health Services at 256-765-4328 for further evaluation and direction. If the employee is unable to drive themselves, their supervisor will assist in isolating them from others until transportation arrives.

What if I develop symptoms of COVID-19 while at home?

  • The employee will need to contact Health Services at 256-765-4328 or after hours via the COVID line at 256-765-5000 for further instructions. The employee may also complete the form.

When should I return to work if I test positive for COVID-19?

  • The employee will need to call University Health Services at 256-765-4328 to determine a return-to-campus date. Health Services will follow guidelines from the Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH) to determine the employee's COVID-19 status. Only UNA Health Services can clear an employee to return to campus.
  • For any COVID related illness, Health Services follows guidelines from the Alabama Department of Public Health and requires the employee to pass a screening questionnaire for clearance to return to campus. Health Services will then instruct the employee to contact Human Resources before coming to campus.

If a department purchases a no-touch thermometer, is it acceptable to require student workers to take their temperature upon arrival in the office?

  • Yes.

Are employees/students notified if they have been in contact with someone who tested positive? Who does the contact?

  • When there is a positive result, University Health Services will notify employees/students who are reported as having had contact with that person to do symptoms check and make recommendations.
  • Please contact Health Services with any questions regarding a possible contact with a person that has tested positive for COVID.

Will University Health Services offer testing for employees?

  • If employees need to be tested, call University Health Services for directions on available testing sites each day. University Health Services has tests available for diagnostic purposes. In addition, employees may participate in the Sentinel Testing program to help identify individuals who may be asymptomatic. This helps mitigate community spread.

How long will I need to isolate from campus if I test positive for COVID or if I am a close contact of a person that tested positive?

  • You will need to call University Health Services for guidance on dates and for contact tracing purposes. Health Services follows guidance from ADPH and CDC and each positive case is handled on a case by case basis with Health Servicesstaff. You may call 256-765-4328 during normal business hours, or 256-765-5000 8am-8pm seven days a week. See CDC guidance for general information on self-isolation.

Should employees wear a cloth mask?

Yes, employees are required to wear cloth face coverings at all times when in public areas or shared spaces within buildings. Review full Guidance Plan related to cloth face coverings.

Re-usable masks are available upon request. Call extension x4658 or email gbroadway@una.edu to request these supplies. Supplies should be picked up at the departmental UNA mailbox.

Are the cloth masks provided by the University reusable/washable or are they disposable?

  • The cloth face coverings provided by UNA are reusable/washable and do not need to be replaced unless damaged.

How do I properly wear and clean the cloth face covering?

  • Click here to review how to properly wear a cloth face covering and keep it clean for optimal cleaning.

What if I am unable to telework and unable to return to the workplace?

  • The employee will need to contact their immediate supervisor
  • If an employee is unable to return to the workplace for any of the FFCRA (Families First Coronavirus Response Act) - protected reasons listed below, they may be eligible for FFCRA leave. To submit an FFCRA Leave Request Form, please click here and follow the two-step process.
    • As Alabama has lifted the “Stay at Home Order,” this reason may only apply to an order by a state Department of Health. Please attach such documentation here.
    • My own illness as I have been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine related to COVID-19. Check this category if you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or if you have a high-risk condition as defined by the CDC (see section B below). If you select this option, you will be provided with an additional form for your physician to complete.
    • I am experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and am seeking a medical diagnosis. If you select this option, you must contact University Health Services as soon as possible.
    • I am caring for an individual subject to an order described in (1) or self-quarantine as described in (2). Please select this option if you are needed to provide daily care for an immediate family member who regularly resides in your home. If you select this option, you will be provided with an additional form for your family member’s physician to complete.
    • I am caring for my child whose place of care is closed (or childcare provider is unavailable) due to COVID-19-related reasons. Types of documentation may include a notice that has been posted on a government, school (camp), or daycare website, on social media, or published in a newspaper, or an email from an employee or official of the school, place of care, or child care provider. If you select this option, please attach documentation here.
    • Experiencing any other substantially similar condition specified by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (to date, no similar conditions have been identified).
  • Accumulated leave time may be utilized by the employee in order to remain in full pay status if not eligible for FFCRA leave.
  • Employees with childcare needs or COVID-19 related conditions may qualify for additional allowances under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) and will need to apply using the form referenced above.
  • Questions about individual circumstances may be directed to the Office of Human Resources at extension 4291 or humanresources@una.edu.

In the event a family member within a household is awaiting COVID test results and all family members are quarantining until such time that test results are received, are not impaired by symptoms, and are able to continue to work remotely, what policy is in place or will be put into place that remote work can continue to be performed as long as said employee is not impacted by symptoms?

  • If an employee is not experiencing symptoms and is able to telework during his/her ordered quarantine, he/she is encouraged to do so. Arrangements should be made with his/her supervisor.

In the event a child of UNA employee must remain home either due to COVID positive, potential exposure, or school closure due to COVID, and parent/guardian of said child needs to be home during that time, but can continue to support their respective department via remote work, what policy is in place or will be put into place so that remote can continue to be performed?

  • If an employee is not experiencing symptoms and is able to telework during his/her ordered quarantine, he/she is encouraged to do so. Arrangements should be made with his/her supervisor.

If a second wave of COVID-19 causes another shutdown, will all employees be allowed to telework or will some be required to remain on campus?

  • If this scenario occurs, the University will determine an alternate operations plan at that time.

How has Environmental Services worked to sanitize buildings on campus?

  • Review the Guidance Plan for the full process.
  • Environmental Services Specialists are working diligently to prepare the physical campus for business operations.
  • Following CDC guidelines, Specialists are emptying trash receptacles as well as cleaning and disinfecting common areas.
  • Office spaces will be cleaned once per week.
  • All highly touched surfaces in offices should be cleaned and disinfected by individual occupants, until further notice. Employees should use disinfectant products provided by UNA.

Should employees request cleaning supplies be delivered to our individual offices or will our College (our building) have the supplies available for us

  • Each Department may request cleaning supplies for your area by contacting Facilities.

Can our department order cleaning supplies?

  • All chemicals need to be approved through Procurement with approval through Facilities before purchasing.

Can I bring my own cleaning supplies?

  • It is recommended to use only the disinfectants supplied by Facilities to ensure the proper dilution; however, common household cleaners that will be allowed are:
    • Clorox Disinfecting Wipes
    • Lysol Disinfecting Wipesc
    • Clorox Multi-Surface Spray

How do we determine which department oversees a building if we would like to see some of the recommendations implemented?

  • Individual departments within buildings are responsible for implementing guidance. There are currently no building coordinators assigned except in a few locations. If there are further questions, go through Department Chairs and/or Deans.

What resources are available to faculty, staff, and students about COVID-19?

  • UNA has developed a COVID-19 web page. The web page contains information related to internal and external resources, a link to the CDC’s COVID-19 FAQ page, and other helpful resources.

Will there be a specific order form to use when placing signage orders to customize for the academic department specific information (e.g., phone numbers, email, etc.)?

  • Departments may request any additional signage, if needed

Is there a plan to enforce the action items under the section “Campus operational norms for fall?”

  • Supervisors of areas are charged with enforcing these plans within their areas. Additionally, all members of the community should follow the plan out of mutual respect for the UNA community.

“All current and planned contracted services (outside companies) will be required to submit their plan to adhere to CDC recommended guidelines and OSHA Covid-19 Guidance for the Construction Workforce.”  Do the contracted services just need to let the departments know that they will adhere to the guidelines or is there a form that they will need to fill out?

  • This guidance was specifically meant for contracted services by Facilities. Facilities has asked all current and future vendors to submit their plan (to Facilities) to adhere to the guidelines provided in the guidance.