College of Education & Human Sciences
Education Specialist - Teacher Leader
Admission Requirements for the Education Specialist (EDS) program in Teacher Leader
- Candidates must meet all testing requirements set forth by the Alabama State Department of Education. Contact the UNA Office of Teacher Certification for details.
- Minimum grade point average of 3.00 (4.0 scale) on all master's level coursework.
- A master's level professional educator certificate in any teaching field or area of instructional support is required. NOTE: If an individual is admitted to an Alabama Class AA teacher leader program based on a master's level professional educator certificate in a teaching field or area of instructional support from another state, completes the Class AA teacher leader program, and subsequently applies for Class AA teacher leader certification, then the individual must earn at least a Class A Professional Educator Certificate in a teaching field or area of instructional support before applying for Class AA certification.
- Minimum of three full years of full-time teaching experience in a P-12 setting.
- Applicants must submit a portfolio containing:
- Three letters of recommendation
- Evidence of ability to positively affect student achievement
- Evidence of collaborative leadership potential.The contents of the portfolio will be reviewed and scored by faculty members of the Elementary Education, Secondary Education, and Instructional Leadership Department.
- EDS 701 Professionalism and Ethics in the School Culture
- EDS 704 Culturally Proficient Leadership
- EDS 703 Digital-Age Leadership to Enhance Student Learning
- TL 710 The Teacher Leader
- TL 712 Coaching and Mentoring for Teacher Leaders
- National Board Certification OR EDS 705 NBPTS: Issues & Trends
- EDS 715 Curriculum Development for Teacher Leaders OR EDS 708 Advanced Curriculum Dev for Teaching & Learning
- EEX605 Survey of Students with Disabilities (if not previously completed)
- EDS 709 Applied Research II
- EDS 702 Applied Research I
- 6 hours of advisor-approved graduate coursework
Other essential information
- Official Checklist/Program of Study: Click here for an official checklist (program of study)
- Admission to Candidacy: Click here for an Admission to Candidacy form.