Welcome to the Department of Geography!
Congratulations to Our Award Winners!
Connor Martin, Dan Wanyama, Md Abu Sayed, Dr Mario Mighty, Dr Francis Koti, Paul Michael, and the Department of Geography were named award winners during the annual College of Arts & Sciences gala!
Dr. Strong Receives Honors from AAG!
The Association of American Geographers (AAG) presented Professor Emeritus William R. Strong the '2016 Gilbert Grosvenor Geographic Education Honors' in San Francisco. Congrats, Dr. Strong!
UNAGEO cohosts World Tang Soo Do Clinic
The Department of Geography co-hosted the 2016 World Tang Soo Do Association Master’s Clinic on UNA campus 29 March-2 April. The event was organized by Professor Emeritus and Grandmaster Bill Strong
NOW OFFERING: Bachelor of Science in GIS
The Department of Geography is pleased to announce that we have been approved by the ACHE to offer a new major- Bachelor of Science in GIS!
The Department of Geography at UNA is active on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Linkedin. Find us, follow us, and connect with us!
Welcome to the Department of Geography at the University of North Alabama!
The following Geography students recently received one year research grants from UNA Undergraduate and Graduate Research programs:
- Simon Bevis- Graduate, $1000 grant; faculty mentor: Dr. Mario Mighty
- Thadeus Hogan- Undergraduate, $1000 grant; faculty mentor: Dr. Michael Pretes
- Dan Wanyama- Graduate, $1000 grant; faculty mentor: Dr. Mario Mighty
We are proud of the #unageo students who presented research at the 2016 annual meeting of the Association of American Geographers conference in San Francisco from 28 March-2 April. Congratulations!
- Steven Holden- (poster presentation) KDE Crime Mapping in Mobile, Alabama; faculty mentor: Dr. Sunhui Sim
- Robert "Robby" Thompson- (illustrated paper) Spatial Equity and Access to Amenities; faculty mentor: Dr. Francis Koti
Congratulations to the following award winners of the 2nd Annual UNA College of Arts and Sciences Awards Gala:
- Connor Martin- Outstanding Undergraduate Research Award
- Dan Wanyama- Outstanding Graduate Assistant Award
- Md Abu Sayed- Outstanding Graduate Student Award
- Dr. Mario Mighty- Outstanding Early Career Teaching Award
- Dr. Francis Koti- Outstanding Department Chair Award
- Paul Michael- Geography Alumni Award
- Department of Geography- Outstanding International Involvement Award
Our department offers a range of courses and degree options all of which are organized to match a student to their professional and career goals and then to match them with industry opportunities. Our program is unique because of the educational and professional experiences offered to students. Courses offered include Geographic Information Systems, Urban and Regional Planning, Biogeography, Geomorphology, Environmental Hazards, Human Geography, as well as a wealth of other courses in the areas of physical geography, human geography, and nature and society interaction. Tools that students learn to apply include GPS, geographic information systems (GIS), digital image processing, and others.
The Department of Geography has eight full-time faculty members and one professor emeritus with specialties in various areas of applied geography. There are over 150 students majoring in geography at our University. Each student is assigned a faculty member who will help them organize their university courses and support them in career planning. In addition, all faculty members are open to course planning and career advisement for students. Therefore, students can seek consultation with multiple faculty members. As students progress through the geography curriculum, they may have the opportunity to work with faculty on individual research projects, support existing faculty research, and/or obtain internships and cooperative education positions.
If geography is of interest to you or you have questions regarding the possibilities in geography-related careers, please contact Dr. Francis Koti, Chair of the Department of Geography at firstname.lastname@example.org or 256-765-4246