CPT (Curricular Practical Training)

CPT stands for Curricular Practical Training. CPT is an off-campus work authorization that is an integral part of your studies. UNA authorizes part-time CPT of 20 hours or less per week. Full-time CPT is authorized only in certain circumstances; talk to your DSO.

All work in the US (on-campus, off-campus, paid or unpaid, part-time or full-time) must be authorized by a DSO.

Am I eligible for CPT?

  • Are you in valid F-1 status?
  • Are you registered as a full-time student?
  • Is your academic performance in Good Standing with the university?
  • Have you been a student in the United States for at least two consecutive academic semesters?

If you answered “yes” to all four questions, then you are eligible to apply. Student in English language training programs are ineligible for practical training.

Does my training qualify for CPT?

  • Is it directly related to your major area of study?
  • Is it 20 hours per week or less?
  • Will your academic advisor support this opportunity as a reasonable training opportunity for your degree?

 If you answered “yes” to all three questions, then this opportunity may meet CPT requirements. The final decision resides with your DSO. Make an appointment with your DSO.

How long does CPT authorization take?

It takes 7-10 business days for Career Center and the Office of International Affairs to process work authorizations. You must plan ahead and you should inform your employer of your special requirements as a F-1 student. Start the authorization process as soon as possible. Do not wait until the beginning of the semester.

More questions? Download this FAQ by the Office of International Affairs.

Continue to The Application Process

Ready to try it? Click here for more on the CPT Application Process

Federal immigration regulations state: “An F-1 student may be authorized by the DSO to participate in a curricular practical training program that is an integral part of an established curriculum." "Curricular practical training is defined to be alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.”

Study in the States: Working in the US

US Immigrations and Customs Enforcement: Practical Training

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: Part 214-Nonimmigrant Classes