As a person interested in health care you must consider these points:
- You must be well-rounded in your liberal arts education.
- You must demonstrate a desire to help people, either through paid or volunteer work.
- Job shadowing is extremely important to determine if you really know what a physician does in the course of a day. This activity needs to be initiated by the end of your sophomore year at UNA. Talk to your Pre-Health advisor about how to arrange this activity. It is best to shadow primary care doctors as they are the ones who are interacting constantly with patients. You may shadow physicians who are specialized but the majority of your hours need to come from primary care shadowing.
- You must demonstrate the intellectual ability to handle difficult courses and a difficult courseload (14-16 semester hours).
- You must be able to score well on standardized tests. After all, you will be taking board exams and licensure exams your entire professional life.
Note: UNA uses VirtualEvals for uploading letters of evaluation for allopathic and osteopathic medical school. Do not spend the money on Interfolio!