Student Counseling Services

Is counseling right for me?

The college years can be exciting, stressful, and challenging.  Having to face difficult situations or feeling overwhelmed by the pressures of daily life are expected aspects of life, even during the college years. However, during college, these experiences can negatively impact your ability to function well academically. When students utilize available campus resources, the potentially negative impact of the situation may be minimized. We encourage students at the University of North Alabama to take advantage of the supportive services available to them through Student Counseling Services. We are located at 555 Oakview Circle, the white house behind Kilby School.  Typical operating hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm when the University is operating.  Students should call (256) 765-5215 for appointments and more information.

How can counseling help?

The Counselors at Student Counseling Services provide Assessment, Crisis Intervention, Group, Consultation, Referral to community resources, and Individual Counseling services to students who are actively enrolled at the University of North Alabama and who have paid the Student Health Fee . The counselor and client will work together to explore personal history and issues to develop individualized goals that will help to empower the student to make positive changes and learn personalized strategies for coping with difficult situations and managing stress.

What types of problems can counselors help students with?

Counselors can help with a wide variety of issues, such as:

  • Behavioral / Mood Changes (Depression)
  • Anxiety / Stress
  • Adjustment / Transition to / from College
  • Alcohol / Other Drugs 
  • Relationship Conflicts
  • Eating Concerns / Self Esteem / Body Image
  • Grief and Loss
  • Anger Management
  • Gender Identity
  • Sexual Concerns
  • Spirituality
  • Suicidality 

 Also, check out the information and many resources linked on our pages for help with specific issues.

Crisis / Emergency Information

If you experience a crisis situation during usual operating hours, please call 256-765-5215, or walk-in to our office at 555 Oakview Circle and explain your situation to the receptionist and ask to speak with a Counselor as soon as possible.

If after usual operating hours you believe you are in an emergent situation while on campus, University Police may be contacted to help with your situation and the officer may contact a Counselor. 

After usual business hours, you may also: call 9-1-1, or the local Crisis Line at Riverbend Center for Mental Health at 256-764-3431, or proceed to the Emergency Room closest to you.


If you will have difficulty accessing our building, please notify the receptionist when you call, and a Counselor will make arrangements to meet you in an alternate private office in the Guillot University Center.

Find out more...

  Suicide Prevention Lifeline  
        HELPLINE:  800-273-8255
  Sexual Assault Information
  Title IX Quick Facts

  Eating Disorders 

        HELPLINE:  800-931-2237
Texting Kills - Don't text and drive!  Don't Text and Drive Video
AlcoholEDU at UNA  AlcoholEDU and Haven
The Jed Foundation- promoting emotional health & suicide prevention  Mental Health Info
  Health Related Q & A
Emotional Support Chat Link Lifeline Crisis Chat
  Depression/Bipolar Support
help for traumatic episodes  Tips for After the Trauma
  Make the Connection
  LGBT Support/Information
  Veterans Crisis Line
Let's talk about mental health
  College Mental Health
  Half of Us