Chemical or Radiation Spill

  1. Any spillage of a chemical or radioactive material is to be reported immediately to the University Police Department at extension 4357 (HELP) or 256.765.4357.
  2. When reporting, be specific about the nature of the involved material and the location. The University Police Department will contact the necessary specialized authorities and medical personnel.
  3. The professor or supervisor should vacate the affected area at once and seal it off to prevent further contamination of others until the arrival of public safety personnel.
  4. Anyone who may be contaminated by the spill is to avoid contact with others as much as possible, remain in the vicinity and give their names to the University Police Department. Required first aid and clean up by specialized authorities should be started at once.
  5. If necessary or if directed to do so by the University Police Department or the Building Coordinator, activate the building alarm. CAUTION: THE BUILDING ALARMS RING ONLY IN THE BUILDING - you must call the University Police Department or the Building Coordinator.
  6. When you are told to leave by the University Police Department or by the Building Coordinator, walk quickly to the nearest marked exit and alert others to do the same.
  7. ASSIST THE DISABLED IN EVACUATING THE BUILDING. Remember that elevators are reserved for disabled persons' use only. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS IN CASE OF FIRE.
  8. Once outside, move to a clear area away from the affected building(s). Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel.
  9. If requested, assist the University Police Department and/or the Building coordinator.
  10. DO NOT RETURN TO AN EVACUATED BUILDING unless directed to do so by the University Police Department, the Building Coordinator.

Note: If possible, all labs should have placards on the door listing all types of hazardous materials stored in the lab.

For emergencies dial (911) or (4357) on any campus phone.