Welcome to the Department of Geography!
Drs. Koti, Gaston Star in UNA Magazine
Dr. Francis Koti and Dr. Greg Gaston of #unageo are featured in the 2017 edition of UNA Magazine, detailing their life-changing work with the University of Dar Es Salaam.
Dr. Sim Promoted to Associate Professor
#unageo faculty Dr. Sunhui Sim has been promoted to Associate Professor of Geography. Dr. Sim has accomplished many great things in her time at UNA and this recognition is well-deserved. Congrats!
Major in Geography & GIS at UNA
#unageo students voiced their opinion on why it's a good idea to major in Geography and GIS at UNA. See what they had to say.
COMING SOON: Topical GIS Certificates
Pending ACHE approval, the Department of Geography will offer topical GIS certificates in Fall 2017. Watch our page for further details!
The Department of Geography at UNA is active on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Linkedin. Find us, follow us, and connect with us!
Welcome to the Department of Geography at the University of North Alabama!
Students: Please find our Spring and Summer 2017 course offerings linked below:
DID YOU KNOW: The U.S. News & World Report recently named "Cartographer" as their #3 Best Engineering Job in their Best Jobs Rankings? See more details here.
Congratulations to Coty Welch, AAG's 2017 Recipient of the Marble Boyle Award!
The American Association of Geographers' Marble-Boyle Award aims to recognize excellence in academic performance by undergraduate students from the United States and Canada who are putting forth a strong effort to bridge geographic science and computer science as well as to encourage other students to embark upon similar programs. Coty Welch was awarded the 2017 Marble-Boyle Award. Coty is advised by Dr. Jonathan Fleming. See more details here.
The following Geography students were recently awarded the Freddie Wood Geography Research Grant for the 2016 academic year:
- Simon Bevis - Graduate; faculty mentor: Dr. Mario Mighty
- Dan Wanyama - Graduate; faculty mentor: Dr. Mario Mighty
- Chandler White - Graduate; faculty mentor: Dr. Sunhui Sim
- Anh Nguyen - Undergraduate; faculty mentor: Dr. Francis Koti
We are proud of the #unageo students who presented research at the 2016 annual meeting of the SouthEastern Division of the American Association of Geographers conference in Columbia, South Carolina from November 20 - 22. Congratulations!
- Casey Vinson - (poster presentation) Spatial Analysis of Southern Micropolitan Places with Craft Breweries; faculty mentor: Dr. Lisa Keys-Mathews
- Anh Nguyen - Small Town Law enforcement Return on Investment: A GIS Analysis; faculty mentor: Dr. Francis Koti
- Coty Welch - An Examination of Automobile Mortality Rates Based on Prohibition and Income by County in Alabama; faculty mentors: Dr. Jonathan Fleming and Dr. Greg Gaston
Congratulations to the following award winners of the 2nd Annual UNA College of Arts and Sciences Awards Gala:
- Connor Martin - Outstanding Undergraduate Research Award
- Dan Wanyama - Outstanding Graduate Assistant Award
- Md Abu Sayed - Outstanding Graduate Student Award
- Dr. Mario Mighty - Outstanding Early Career Teaching Award
- Dr. Francis Koti - Outstanding Department Chair Award
- Paul Michael - Geography Alumni Award
- Department of Geography - Outstanding International Involvement Award
Our department offers a range of courses and degree options all of which are organized to match a student to their professional and career goals and then to match them with industry opportunities. Our program is unique because of the educational and professional experiences offered to students. Courses offered include Geographic Information Systems, Urban and Regional Planning, Biogeography, Geomorphology, Environmental Hazards, Human Geography, as well as a wealth of other courses in the areas of physical geography, human geography, and nature and society interaction. Tools that students learn to apply include GPS, geographic information systems (GIS), digital image processing, and others.
The Department of Geography has eight full-time faculty members and one professor emeritus with specialties in various areas of applied geography. There are over 150 students majoring in geography at our University. Each student is assigned a faculty member who will help them organize their university courses and support them in career planning. In addition, all faculty members are open to course planning and career advisement for students. Therefore, students can seek consultation with multiple faculty members. As students progress through the geography curriculum, they may have the opportunity to work with faculty on individual research projects, support existing faculty research, and/or obtain internships and cooperative education positions.
If geography is of interest to you or you have questions regarding the possibilities in geography-related careers, please contact Dr. Francis Koti, Chair of the Department of Geography at firstname.lastname@example.org or 256-765-4246