Return of Title IV Aid Policy

Return of Title IV Funds

Title IV Aid is any aid that was awarded to you as a result of your completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

If you have been awarded Title IV aid and subsequently withdraw completely on or before the 60% completion date for the semester, the university will be required to return a portion of your aid. This means that you will be required to return a percentage of your financial aid if you withdraw on or before these dates:

Fall 2023
Fall 23 Part of Term 1
Fall 23 Part of Term 2
October 19, 2023
September 14, 2023
November 9, 2023
Spring 2024
Spring 24 Part of Term 1
Spring 24 Part of Term 2
March 18, 2024
February 9, 2024
April 16, 2024
Summer 2024
Summer 24 Part of Term 1
Summer 24 Part of Term 2
July 8, 2024
June 20, 2024
July 19, 2024 

Once you have withdrawn, UNA will calculate the amount of federal aid that you earned based on the percentage of the semester that you actually completed. All awarded aid above this “earned” amount will be returned on your behalf. This will likely cause you to owe a balance to UNA. You will be billed for this amount by UNA’s Student Accounts office.

Any subsequent aid disbursements for the current award year will be cancelled at the time of your withdrawal. You will need to contact Student Financial Aid to ensure that you will be awarded aid for any upcoming semesters.

You may make arrangements to pay any outstanding balance to the university by contacting the Student Accounts office in the Gunn Commons building, 2nd floor, or by calling 256-765-4442.

Owing a balance to the university may prevent you from registering for upcoming semesters.

What if I drop a class this semester or what if my enrollment drops below half-time? It is highly advised to speak with the Student Financial Aid office before ever dropping a class or completely withdrawing for the semester. Dropping a class could have an effect on your completion percentage, which is one of the factors in maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress. Please review the university's Satisfactory Academic Progress standards for more information. Dropping below half-time enrollment may result in your upcoming aid disbursements to be cancelled. In addition, if you have received student loan funds, dropping below half-time enrollment may trigger the beginning of your repayment grace period. It is advised to contact your Loan Servicer regarding this sensitive time frame. Finally, dropping below half-time may result in a return of your Title IV aid for the semester. 

What if I stop attending courses without officially withdrawing? If you stop attending courses without officially withdrawing, UNA will calculate the amount of federal aid that you earned based on an unofficial withdrawal as of the last date of attendance (LDA) reported by your professors.