FAQ about Graduate Study in History at UNA

Is the Online Degree Option Fully Online?

Yes. If you pursue the Online Degree option, you do not have to be in-residence. If you take only online classes, your tuition is calculated as in-state, provided you do not ever take a traditional face-to-face course.  If you are in the area, and are an on-line student, we would love to visit with you in person. 

How long will it take to complete my degree?

That is up to each student. Many of our graduate students are part-time students while working. We will work with you, but our program of study is designed to be completed in two years on a full-time basis. 

How much is tuition?

Tuition Costs Effective Fall 2017: (please check the Student Accounts website for the most up-to-date information.) https://www.una.edu/tuition/tuition-and-fees.html

What fees should I expect to pay (beyond tuition)?

Fees Effective Fall 2017: (please check the Student Accounts website for the most up-to-date information https://www.una.edu/tuition/tuition-and-fees.html)

I want to take graduate coursework but I am not seeking a degree. Is that possible?

Students who do not wish to pursue a degree may enroll in graduate courses (up to 12 hours maximum). Students must apply for admission as a non-degree seeking student through the Office of Graduate Admissions using the graduate admission application. Students are admitted conditionally or unconditionally by the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. No assurance is given that credits earned can be transferred to graduate programs at UNA or other institutions. In order to transition from unclassified status to a graduate program, an unclassified student must complete a new application through the Office of Graduate Admissions.

Can I drop a class without financial penalty?

Spring/Fall Semesters: Students may withdraw with a full refund through the close of business on the 8th calendar day from the date classes begin. Beginning with the 9th day, no refunds are issued (though exceptions can be granted in certain cases with medical, military, or other extenuating circumstances. Please check with the Bursar’s Office).   

Summer:  Students may withdraw with a full refund through the close of business on the first day of classes. Withdrawal on the 2nd day results in a 50% refund. No refunds will be given after the 3rd day of classes (though exceptions can be granted in certain cases with medical, military, or other extenuating circumstances. Please check with the Bursar’s Office).

If a student with Federal Student Aid withdraws from a course before 60% of the course is completed they may have to return a portion of the aid to the University. Withdrawal can affect a student’s eligibility for future aid.

Are loans available to fund my graduate education?

Graduate Students are eligible for federal student loans, but not for Pell Grants. Graduate students are eligible for Federal and University Work Study. Federal eligibility is determined after Free Application for Federal Student Aid is filed. More information can be found at http://www.una.edu/finanical-aid.

Are there Assistantship opportunities?

There are a limited number of assistantships for students pursuing a Master’s Degree in Public History.  They are awarded on a competitive basis, and cover up to nine credit hours a semester and include a monthly stipend. Fees are not covered.

Can I apply transfer credit to my degree at UNA?

Students may receive six hours of graduate transfer credits (for coursework given a B or above) from another graduate program. Requests for transfer credit should be initiated by the student with the Graduate Coordinator’s approval. Acceptance of graduate credit by transfer is normally limited to six semester hours of B or higher grades in graduate work appropriate to the degree program at UNA. Exceptions (up to 12 hours) must be approved by the history graduate committee, department chair, and college dean.

I am a student at another university but want to take a graduate course at UNA. Is that possible?

Graduate students in good standing at other graduate schools may, with advanced written approval from their home institution, enroll in graduate courses at UNA. Students apply for transient admission through the Office of Graduate Admissions. Students applying for transient admission do not have to submit official transcripts.

I am a senior at UNA and would like to begin my graduate study at UNA as I am finishing my bachelor’s degree. Is that possible?

Seniors within one semester of graduation and who have a 3.0 cumulative GPA may take six hours of graduate credit, with the dean’s approval. Please check with the department chair about taking graduate courses as an undergraduate student.

What progress do I need to make in graduate school to remain in the program?

University policy states that students must pass 75% of all graduate work with a grade of “B” or better in most cases. Students are allowed 45 hours to complete all coursework. Students must maintain a 3.0 GPA on all work completed at UNA, with not more than six semesters hours of “C” work or below. If two “C’s “are earned, at least two “A’s” must be earned to achieve an overall GPA of 3.0 or better.

How is part-time/full-time status determined?

Nine hours is considered full-time during regular semester; in summer semester six hours constitutes full-time status.  The maximum course load during fall and spring is 12 hours and 6 hours for each summer semester (12 total hours)

How and when should I apply for graduation?

Students must apply for graduation two semesters ahead of their expected graduation semester. If it is necessary to revise graduation date, a student must submit a Graduation Application Change Form. It is advisable to do this sooner, rather than later as exceptions to application for graduation requirement are not generally made. For more information, contact the Office of the Registrar at https://www.una.edu/registrar/graduation.html.