Institute for Innovation and Economic Development
The Institute for Innovation and Economic Development provides a centralized place for student, industry, and government to access university resources in four areas:
- Economic Development
- Corporate Consulting
- Strategic Doing
Our goals include enhancing the economic well-being of the region by assisting businesses, government and community organizations with technical support using the assets of the Institute and its partners.
With the establishment of the Institute in 2016 the University is now providing a centralized support organization. Our faculty traditionally has supported needs of student, industry and government through economic impact studies, specialized management training, site selection feasibility analysis, workshop facilitation, and student startup mentoring, incubation and workshops.
The Institute has four areas of focus:
• Innovation: Supporting the University and region’s need for building a strong entrepreneurial and business creation culture, the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Director manages the Generator, UNA’s student incubator. In addition the Generator hosts programs specific to starting a small business especially in the areas of social media, marketing, financing and business plan development. The Institute also is available to consult using the Innovation Engineering system.
• Economic Development: The Institute prepares a variety of economic development reports to private and public organizations, including impact analysis, market assessments, feasibility studies, customer perception surveys, retail market analyses, geospatial assessments, and salary surveys.
• Corporate Consulting: The Institute provides experts in business services, including human resources, marketing, management, sales, accounting, finance, economics, business law, and information systems. The Institute can help solve real world business problems.
• Strategic Doing: Strategic Doing teaches people how to form collaborations quickly, move them toward measurable outcomes, and make adjustments along the way. In today’s world, collaboration is essential to meet the complex challenges we face. Strategic Doing enables leaders to design and guide new networks that generate innovative solutions. It is a new strategy discipline that is lean, agile, and fast—just what organizations, communities and regions need to survive and thrive. The Institute provides consulting workshops and practitioner training to private and public sector organizations.
Leading Experts Available at the Institute Include:
- Shoals Cultural Asset Impact Analysis
- Strategic Doing Digital Cluster Project
- UNA Economic Impact Analysis