A Closer Look at the M.Pr.S Degree
If your educational plans require customization, efficient use of graduate transfer credit, on-line access and interaction with qualified faculty, this degree program is designed for you.
UNA's Master of Professional Studies (M.Pr.S) degree program is designed to meet the educational and career-oriented objectives of today's working professionals. The M.Pr.S degree appeals to students interested in the areas of community development, security and safety leadership, or information technology who want to customize their area studies while enhancing their knowledge base specific to work and leadership within formal organizations. Click on the link on the left side of this page to learn more about the specialization areas.
- Earned baccalaureate degree from an accredited school.
- Graduating cumulative GPA of 2.5 minimum or 3.0 in last 60 hrs. of undergraduate study.
- Submission of three letters of recommendation from contacts knowledgeable of the applicant's professional work and suitability for graduate study.
- Submission of the student's personal statement describing their reasons for applying, the choice of concentration, and how this degree program will affect their future career plans.
- Students may be admitted conditionally with minimum of three years of successful full-time work experience in a professional field. The Job Verification Form must be completed and submitted in such cases. (go to top of page)
- Applicants should contact their prior graduate program and have that school send official transcripts to the UNA Office of Admissions. Please remember that transcripts from all prior undergraduate and graduate institutions must be requested and sent directly to the UNA Office of Admissions.
- A link to the Transcript Request form is one the right of this page.
- Students may transfer into the M.Pr.S program up to 12 credit hours of graduate credit (grade of B or higher) with approval of the M.Pr.S Program Director. (go to top of page)
- First, resident tuition/in-state tuition applies to ALL M.Pr.S students who take 100% of their coursework on-line.
- As of June 10th, UNA Graduate tuition for the 2015-2016 academic year was set at $287 per credit hour plus a distance learning fee of $60 per course.*
- Tuition for graduate courses taken through the UNA College of Business online MBA program are $1095 per course plus a distance learning fee of $60 per course.* (go to top of page)
*All expenses and fees are subject to change
- M.Pr.S students may be considered for student loans, student employment, assistantships, and scholarships.
- Graduate students are not eligible for Pell Grants.
- Students may apply for Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loans only by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). It is recommended to complete the FAFSA application at least 8 weeks prior to the beginning of the term which you plan to enroll.
- Those who have served in the military may apply the GI bill toward the M.Pr.S degree. For additional information about GI benefits and eligibility, it is recommended that you contact the VA directly at 1-888-442-4551. (go to top of page)
- The M.Pr.S degree is a 33-36 credit hour program (the non-thesis or capstone project option is a 33 credit hours program).
- Time to completion depends on whether the student attends full-time (taking a 3+ courses a semester), part-time (taking less than 3 courses) and whether take summer courses (generally 1 or 2 courses over 8 weeks).
- A year and a half to two years is a practical timeline. (go to top of page)
- UNA courses are organized around the traditional 15 week academic semester. (go to top of page)
- No. Undergraduate and work-related success are capable predictors of graduate school performance. (go to top of page)
- To begin coursework for the Fall 2015 semester, application materials should be submitted before August 2, 2015.
- A complete application consists of the application for admission to the Graduate School, a written letter of intent, and 3 recommendation forms submitted by professional references. (go to top of page)
- The decision to commit to graduate studies is an important one. Please call 1-800-TALK-UNA ext.5003 or 5006 during regular business hours or e-mail us (see links on left to contact Ms. Erin Froman or Dr. Craig Robertson). (go to top of page)
Updated 7/13/2015 CTR
Helpful Links for the Prospective Student
- Apply now for M.Pr.S Admission
- International Students and M.Pr.S Admission
- Send Transcripts
- UNA Office of Financial Aid