1. To serve as an advisory committee on the university’s research function and related issues
2. To serve as a screening board, recommending action for university released time and non-released time research grants (not including those grants given through individual college research committees)
3. To gather information on the University’s research efforts and related issues, and assess university performance in these areas in light of the information obtained
4. To propose changes in university policies, procedures, and practices on research and related issues
5. To handle any proposals the committee may make affecting university policy according to section C.2 "Shared Governance Procedures for Policy Change Recommendations"
6. To submit a final written report electronically by the first day of the fall semester to the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost with a copy sent to the Chair of the SGEC