1. Ensure the proper role of athletics within the overall mission of the university
2. Ensure the integrity of the athletics program with regard to NCAA, Gulf South Conference, state and federal law compliance, gender equity and support for the principles presented by the Knight Foundation’s Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics.
3. Review and monitor (as necessary, assist in developing) all compliance procedures and to recommend institutional procedural changes based upon changes in NCAA Rules.
4. Assign and document responsibilities for compliance tasks.
5. Work to maintain the proper perspective of athletic competition within the university life of the student-athlete.
6. Monitor the academic performance and progress made by student-athletes
7. Oversee all programs designed to ensure the academic success, personal development, and personal welfare of student-athletes.
8. To handle any proposals the committee may make affecting university policy according to section C.2 "Shared Governance Procedure for Policy Change Recommendations"
9. To submit a final written report electronically by the first day of the fall semester to the President with a copy sent to the Chair of the SGEC