Summer Programs and Other Opportunities
There are two programs for residents of the state of Alabama who wish to practice rural medicine as a physician. These programs are considered mostly 5th year programs.
- Rural Medical Scholars Program (RMSP) at the University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa
- Rural Medicine Program (RMP) at Auburn University
There is also a summer program for students interested in rural medicine:
- University of Alabama Birmingham Huntsville Regional Medical Campus - Rural Pre-medical Internship (for Alabama residents only)
Deadline for applications: March 1st. See Dr. Crews for more information; many UNA students have participated in this program.
The Summer Health Enrichment Program (SHEP) at the UAB School of Medicine is designed to offer talented undergraduate students from the state of Alabama an experience that will enhance their opportunity for a career in medicine. Several UNA students have participated in this summer program.
Other summer programs include:
- Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP)
- Traveler's Summer Research Fellowship Program at Cornell Medical College
- Pre-Medical Rural Community Health Project through East Tennessee State University
- Summer in Biomedical Sciences Undergraduate Research Program at UAB School of Medicine