Graduation FAQs

Yes.  Each student who plans to graduate must submit a graduation application by the deadline for the semester you are wishing to graduate. Your advisor should tell you at what point you need to apply to graduate. Please see deadlines under Applying for Graduation.

Changing your program, major or minor after applying for graduation may affect whether you have met all requirements to graduate.  Please check with your advisor or department if you are contemplating on doing this. If you are fine to proceed, you will need to submit a Program/Major Change form to the Office of the Registrar, found on the Registrar’s website under Forms.

No, the name printed on the diploma must be your legal name on record at the university. Name changes are allowed as long as legal supporting documentation is submitted to us. We accept birth certificate, current driver's license, social security card, marriage certificate, divorce decree, or passport.   However, using the middle name or initial is optional and you may choose to include or not include it on the diploma. If you choose to have a middle name or initial on your diploma and it is not listed in our system, you will also need to submit legal supporting documentation for us to update your system and list it on your diploma.   You can email your supporting documentation from your UNA email along with a request to update your name to  You can also submit to us a Name Change form found under FORMS on the Registrar's website, under STUDENT RESOURCES and include your supporting documentation. 

The name you submit on your graduation application is the name used to announce at the ceremony, see question above.  

The official UNA regalia is only available to through the UNA Bookstore.  They are located in the Wendell W. Gunn University Commons building on the UNA campus.

No. Honor stoles will be available to pick up at your commencement ceremony. For more information on your specific commencement ceremony, check out the Ceremony Information PDF.

Yes, Latin honors (summa cum laude, magna cum laude, and cum laude) are recorded on your diploma.  If you are in the Honors College, that distinction will be listed as well.

No, grade point averages (GPA) are not rounded up.  If a student earns a 3.4999, the GPA is a 3.49  

To change your home address, please email and include your name, student number, and new mailing address.

If you need to change your graduation date to a later semester, you will need to reapply for graduation on your UNA Portal account.

Your name will be listed under each appropriate degree in the commencement program. Most students choose to participate in the ceremony of the primary degree but students can choose either one. If students decide to walk in the ceremony of the secondary degree, please contact the Office of the Registrar at so we are aware and can make appropriate adjustments.   

No. The University of North Alabama has added a summer ceremony starting Summer 2019 to accommodate students graduating at the end of each semester. Students are only approved to walk in the ceremony in which they will finish their degree. If you have an extenuating circumstance, you can petition the Dean for an exception to this policy.

Depending on the time of the year, degrees will be posted no later than 7 days after the ceremony which also updates the transcript. Please allow extra time for the Fall graduation due to the Christmas holidays. 

Students who complete a minimum of 44 hours at UNA may graduate with honors. Below is a range of GPAs for each classification:

Summa Cum Laude  - 3.90-4.00
Magna Cum Laude  - 3.78 -3.89
Cum Laude - 3.50 – 3.69

Note: Those who are granted Second Chance Provision are not eligible for Latin honors.

Graduation is the act of completing all program requirements so the University of North Alabama can award and confer your degree. All students must submit an application for graduation and meet all final requirements in order to graduate. Commencement is the ceremony recognizing the academic achievements of that class.

If it is possible to add you to graduation for the term requested, you will need to email and request to be allowed to apply late. Once we get confirmation from your department/college that you will be completing your requirements and the Dean of your college approves, we will email you an electronic copy of the graduation application for you to fill out. Please return it back to the Office of the Registrar for processing.

Unfortunately, sometimes mistakes happen. If you have met the requirements and your name is not listed in the commencement program, you still participate in the ceremony. Your name will be called and you will walk across the stage and receive your diploma cover.  Although we realize that the program is memorabilia, it is not an official validation of graduation. The legal document is the official transcript. The University of North Alabama makes every effort to include all degree candidates in the commencement program each year and we truly regret any omissions. If you have a confidentiality hold, your name will not be listed in the commencement program unless you request to have the hold removed. To remove the hold, please email from your UNA email to

Please Note: If you are approved to apply after the graduation application deadline, your name may not appear in the commencement program.

Degree candidates who do not complete their degree requirements are removed from that particular graduation and will have to reapply to graduate. Students can reapply to graduate on their UNA Portal account.

Once you receive confirmation from the Bursar’s Office that all holds are cleared, email from your UNA email account. Include your name, graduation term, and current mailing address to request the release of your diploma. Your diploma will be mailed to you at the address provided within 2-3 weeks. 

Diplomas are mailed approximately 4-6 weeks after commencement. We will mail it to the address provided to us on your graduation application. For those graduating in the Fall (December) ceremony, please allow a little extra time for processing due to the Christmas holidays.

There is only one original diploma; the University does not keep copies of diplomas. To request a replacement diploma, please submit to us a Diploma Reorder form which can be found on the Registrar’s website. The form can be emailed to us at or dropped off at 119 Bibb Graves Hall.

We ask that the dress be something like Sunday dress. Men in slacks, dress shoes, and shirt and tie. Ladies, nice dress or slacks with nice heels or sandals. You will be doing some standing with waiting in line in preparation to process in and then walking to the stage to receive your diploma cover. We encourage you to wear comfortable shoes. 

The charge to apply for graduation is $45. If you are denied/removed from graduation, you will need to reapply and will be charged $45 each time you reapply.
Students are required to reapply for the next term via the UNA Portal. A charge of $45 will be incurred.