Bachelor's Degree Programs
The department of elementary education offers undergraduate programs that lead to Alabama Professional Educator Certification in collaborative teacher, early childhood, and elementary.
Traditional Master's Degree Programs
The department of elementary education offers traditional master’s programs that lead to Alabama Professional Educator Certification in collaborative teacher and elementary.
Education Specialist Degree Programs
EDS Elementary (Admission Requirements)
- Candidates must meet all testing requirements set forth by the Alabama State Department of Education. Contact the UNA Certification Office for details.
- Minimum grade point average of 3.00 (4.0 scale) on all master's level coursework.
- A master's level professional educator certificate in the same teaching field(s) in which the Class AA Professional Educator Certificate is sought, except as prescribed below:
- A teacher with a bachelor's-level professional educator certificate in elementary education and a master's-level professional educator certificate in reading may be admitted to a Class AA program in elementary education.
- A teacher with a bachelor's-level professional educator certificate in any teaching field and a master's-level professional educator certificate in English for speakers of other languages may be admitted to a Class AA program in the same teaching field for which the teacher holds a bachelor's-level professional educator
- If an individual is admitted to an Alabama Class AA program based on a master's-level professional educator certificate in another state, completes a Class AA program, and subsequently applies for Alabama certification at the Class AA level, then the individual must earn at least a Class A Professional Educator Certificate before applying for Class AA certification.
EDS Elementary (Courses Required)
- National Board Certification OR EDS 705 NBPTS: Issues & Trends
- EDS 709 Applied Research II
- EDS 701 Professionalism and Ethics in the School Culture
- EDS 702 Applied Research I
- EDS 704 Culturally Proficient Leadership
- EDS 703 Digital-Age Leadership to Enhance Student Learning
- EEX 605 Survey of Students with Disabilities (if not previously completed)
- 15 hours of advisor-approved coursework