Accommodation Assistance for Students with Disabilities
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the University offers accommodations to students with documented learning, physical and/or psychological disabilities. It is the responsibility of the student to contact Disability Support Services, preferably prior to the beginning of the semester, to initiate the accommodation process and to notify instructors as soon as possible to develop an accommodation plan. Course requirements will not be waived but, if possible, reasonable accommodations will be made to allow each student to meet course requirements. Students needing assistance should contact Disability Support Services.
Disability Support Services determines reasonable academic accommodations for students, based on appropriate documentation and the academic requirements of the individual program. Disability Support Services also considers current academic needs of students and accommodations that have been used in previous educational settings. Disability Support Services can be reached by calling 765-4214 or visiting Room 111 in the Guillot University Center.
Providing reasonable and appropriate accommodations in the classroom is a collaborative process between the student, the UNA faculty/staff, and the Office of Disability Support Services. Accommodations are provided to assist students with their academic challenges while maintaining the academic integrity of UNA programs of study. They do not involve any lowering of standards of performance. The process is as follows:
- The student goes to the Office of Disability Support Services to request accommodation assistance.
- The student submits documentation from a qualified professional verifying their disability and need for accommodations. For additional information on what documentation will be needed, click on the documentation requirements link.
- The student and Disability Support Services staff will meet to set up an accommodation plan on the basis of the documentation presented. The accommodation plan is recorded onto the Accommodation Form.
- Should additional documentation be required, it is the responsibility of the student to obtain the requested documentation in a timely manner.
- Accommodation Forms are copied and the student takes them to each of their classes to begin the accommodation process.
- Supportive services will be provided in correlation with accommodation plans. Supportive services are provided upon students’ request.