Department of Art
In support of the mission of the University of North Alabama, the Art Department provides students the opportunity and means to develop a confident, knowledgeable, and proficient grounding in the field of Art and Design; endeavors to instill in each student a refined aesthetic sensibility that ensures artistic imagination, individual expression, and the recognition of quality; and through the imparting of specialized knowledge, facilitates students’ technical skill development in the media of their choice.
- Liza Harrison teaching at Huntsville High School
Liza Harrison, recent graduate of the UNA Art Department, has accepted the Art Teacher position at Huntsville High School. Liza will start in Fall 2016. We wish her the best with this wonderful opportunity!
- Updates from Dr. Lisa Kirch
In April 2016, Dr. Kirch attended the annual meeting for the Renaissance Society of America, where she presented her paper "Faith Embodied: Jacob Heller, Catharina von Melem, and Their Altarpiece."
In August 2016, she will attend the Sixteenth Century Studies Conference in Bruges, Belgium, where she will present her paper "Collecting and Display in the Patrician House: The Case of Sixteenth-Century Frankfurt am Main." And in October 2016, Dr. Kirch will present her paper "By Hoof and on Foot: Racing and Rank in Neuburg an der Donau” in Münster, Germany.
- Jonathan Cain starts work with FAFA
We are excited to announce that Adjunct Instructor of Art, Jonathan Cain, has begun work with the Visual Arts Program at the Florence Academy of Fine Arts (FAFA). The Visual Arts Program of FAFA is designed to turn young people into young adults with the ability to work independently as well as in groups to solve the pressing problems facing the world today.
- Dr. Suzanne Zurinsky presents at NAEA
Dr. Suzanne Duvall-Zurinsky presented "Building Success: The Power of Sequential Learning for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders" at the National Art Education Association Convention in Chicago, IL (March, 2016). This presentation provided art educators from across the country with creative teaching strategies designed to meet the special needs of students with ASD in the classroom.
- Dr. Lisa Kirch receives Fulbright Award Officials with the Institute of International Education (IIE) have selected Dr. Lisa Kirch as a Fulbright Award recipient. Dr. Kirch's research is concerned with the question: "Where did museums come from?" In the Spring 2017 semester, Dr. Kirch will travel to Germany, where she will be working with a team of researchers to study a 16th century German document. The document is an inventory of a room that could be considered a personal museum. We wish her the best of luck with her research!
- Congratulations to Professor Aaron Benson
Associate Professor of Art, Aaron Tennessee Benson, won a commissioned sculpture competition, Sculpture by the Sea, Bondi, in Sydney, Australia. Professor Benson was selected by a curatorial panel to build a sculpture as part of a large, free-to-the-public arts event.
His sculpture was one of over 100 pieces featured on the Bondi to Tamarama coastal walk this year. He and the other participating artists were chosen out of 500 submissions from 41 countries and 6 territories. The panel also selected two of Professor Benson’s wall sculptures for a gallery exhibition. Sculpture by the Sea, Bondi took place from October 22-November 8, 2015.
- HCI/UX Design Minor for Art Students
Students interested in the HCI-UX Design Minor are encouraged to contact Professor Chiong-Yiao Chen (cchen@ una.edu) or call 256-765-4384 for advising.