UNA Pressroom

Una Early Scholar, Pianist Chosen As Soloist For Huntsville Symphony Orchestra

Jan. 17, 2012

Michelle Eubanks, UNA, at media@una.edu, 256.765.4392 or 256.606.2033

FLORENCE, Ala. - Christian McGee, a member of the Early Scholars Program at the University of North Alabama and high school senior at Mars Hill Bible School, was recently selected among seven finalists across the state for the Huntsville Symphony Orchestra's 41st Young Artist Audition. She is scheduled to perform for the Family Concert Feb. 25 at 1:30 p.m. in the Von Braun Center in Huntsville. McGee, 18, auditioned Jan. 8 at Randolph School's Thurber Arts Center and performed Camille Saint Saens' "Africa, fantaisie for piano and orchestra." The Early Scholars student, who studies under UNA Associate Professor of Music Dr. Yi-Min Cai, was shocked to learn she was selected to play with the Huntsville Symphony, but is passionate about her art and looks forward to sharing it with others. "There are two things about piano and music that I love," McGee said. "With it, you are able to express things you can't normally just tell anybody and second, it can impact somebody in such a way that nothing else can. It can leave impressions that can change people." For two years, McGee has been enrolled in the Early Scholars Program and she hopes to someday enter the field of music education after college. She considers her religious faith, family, friends and Cai to be instrumental in helping her grow as a pianist. "I would like to attribute all credit of my success to God," she said. "He's the one who blessed me with my talents, blessed me with much support and blessed me with Dr. Cai as a wonderful teacher to help cultivate my musical blessing. May all glory be to God." Cai said she and her department colleagues are extremely proud of McGee for being chosen out of the competing finalists at the Huntsville Symphony Orchestra's 41st Young Artist Audition. "I am looking forward to her performance with the Huntsville Symphony in February," she said. "Success such as hers provides us with confidence that we can provide a similar avenue for great achievement possibilities for other students." The Huntsville Symphony Orchestra is the oldest operating orchestra in Alabama and is known for its celebrated concert series and award-winning educational programs. McGee will perform a free recital at UNA April 20 at 5:30 p.m. in the choral room. For more information about McGee, contact Dr. Yi-Min Cai at 256-765-4519 or e-mail ycai@una.edu. To learn more about the Huntsville Symphony Orchestra, visit www.hso.org.