UNA 2023 Alumni Award Winners Announced
Jul. 25, 2023
FLORENCE, AL – This year, the University of North Alabama celebrates 50 years of being UNA, its ninth and final name change. The visionary leadership of past presidents Dr. E.B. Norton and Dr. Robert Guillot set the stage for this year’s Homecoming, the theme of which is “Cheers to 50 Years.”
“As we approach this very special anniversary in the life of our almost 200-year-old institution, we want to also remember how we got here, how we became UNA,” said Justin “Bishop” Alexander, Alumni Relations Director. “Part of that is, of course, our very worthy alumni award winners. We will also have a special recognition for our Greek organizations that are also celebrating 50 years of being on campus as part of our annual Alumni Celebration.”
This year’s Alumni Award recipients are:
- Lifetime Achievement: Carol Lyles Reeves ’70, Florence
- Alumni of the Year: Stacy Suggs ’90, Tuscumbia
- Friend of the University: Macke and Kimberly Mauldin ’94, Florence
- Military Service: Scott Milliet ’10, Lakeland, Tenn.
- Educator of the Year (Higher Education): Andrea Porter ’95, Jacksonville
- Educator of the Year (K-12): Dax Glover ’10, Iuka Miss.
- Community Service: Bethany Green ’10, Florence
- Public Service: Peggy Smith Bush ’84, Orlando, Fla.
- Faculty Alumni Service: Amanda Hitt ’04, Leighton
- Staff Alumni Service: Jill Chambers ’01, Killen
- Young Alumni Service: Abigail Gaddy ’16, ’19, Harvest
Alumni Award winners will be featured at the Alumni Celebration on Friday, Sept. 29, and tickets are available at this link. In addition to celebrating 50 years of the UNA name and the presence of Greek life on campus, the event will also acknowledge 30 years of LaGrange Society, the official hosts and hostesses of the University, as well as the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program, the foundational program in the Anderson College of Nursing and Health Professions. These acknowledgements will be followed by a historic University announcement.
About The University of North Alabama
The University of North Alabama is an accredited, comprehensive regional state university offering credential, certificate, baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral programs in the colleges of Arts, Sciences, and Engineering; Business and Technology; Education and Human Sciences; and the Anderson College of Nursing and Health Professions. The first-choice University for more than 10,000 on-campus and online students, UNA is on a bucolic campus in Florence, Alabama, part of the historic and vibrant Shoals region. Lions Athletics, a renowned collegiate athletics program with seven (7) Division II National Championships, is now a proud member of the NCAA Division I’s ASUN Conference. The University of North Alabama is an equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate in the admission policy on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, disability, age, or national origin. For more: www.una.edu and www.una.edu/unaworks/